Will I feel enriched or diminished?
Yay! I figured out something new! I love when this happens. So, this time, I have come to realize, thanks to Austin Kleon’s weekly newsletter (https://austinkleon.com/2020/09/10/will-this-enlarge-me-or-diminish-me/), that the question of being enriched/enlarged or diminished directs my moods, my reaching out to feel less isolated, and even how much I move around during the day. Two elements help me succeed in answering the question.
First, I pay attention. Changes may be minute or delayed, but something will shift.
Second, the results are most satisfying when I connect with someone, anyone, else. “Teamwork makes the dream work.” So shares John Maxwell (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubh_xhrpEpc&feature=emb_logo).
Actually, I caught that phrase during the ZOOM version of the Allegheny County Family Center Hour and COVID-19 CANVASSING event, normally held in-person the first Friday in August. I found my way to the three-hour meeting, a fount of information and fun, by way of Elaine Harris-Fulton, from WAKE UP THE VOTE WILKINSBURG (https://www.facebook.com/firedupyougottovote/). Elaine and the ever-multiplying membership apply modern and creative methods for spreading the message of getting out the vote and becoming “democracy champions.”
Here are a few highlights with the time they show up during the video https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drive.google.com_file_d_117SdcG-5F6hI7DWG6Mhrq8-2D85cLGVvDNZZ_view-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=Qlma7TMqXO0NViVLhcQERq_IaIV4Th60ufzA2NFbj_0&m=SCMlcMDsh5oVC2IZ4W-j3SLvvbLD97GKhDU2oeRme3o&s=wwHLBTW289R95bxc9e0SYogZO7WQouGQjY0lfZYWqkI&e=
- A riff on Stevie Wonder’s “My Cherie Amour” called “Oh, COVID-19”–36:25
- “Chalk the Walk” sidewalk art–1:52:50
- The “Politics of Motherhood,” which is really the linchpin for the health and well-being of the whole family, therefore, of the whole of society. 2:10:55
- The importance of “Nature Walking” and “Human-Nature Walking” for families. Both are for encouraging unity, freedom, and reducing stress.–2:25:57
- YelloPain’s video of his song, “MY VOTE DON’T COUNT.” This is one of the clearest and most upbeat explanations of the government and why we’ve got to vote. –3:06:12
- Then, the finale, not the end. Dance to Pharrell’s “Happy”!
Oh, one more thing. I always tie my photo to the blog’s theme for the day. Here is the explanation for this choice.
One evening I felt like staying home and letting my pup just hang out in the backyard. Instead, I dragged myself up and outside. My enrichment, my immediate payback, was seeing this resurrected tree root during my walk. The couple who owned the home where the tree had resided for decades, worked tirelessly during broiling and damp weather as they choose, and tried out, and finally planted together this rainbow of flowers and plants to create a natural flowerpot from the felled giant.
TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK…personally, and for our neighborhood, and for the greater community.
#sherriroberts #galilthreadworks.com #wakeupthevotewilkinsburg #vote #democracy #democracychampions #alleghenycountyfamilycenter